2015-2016 Homecoming

The dance floor is the place where everyone had a lot of fun at the homecoming dance.

Annette Aguero and Sean Khoth

Homecoming was full of school spirit and big time fun for all Hoover students. The week began with “Merica Monday”, as many students showed off their national pride by wearing red, blue and white. On Tuesday, each of the four graduation classes were assigned colors to wear for class spirit; Freshmen were given yellow, Sophomores –black, Juniors –red, and Seniors –white. Western Wednesday allowed students to release their inner cowboy and cowgirl. On Thursday, students took it way back with Throwback Thursday, and on Friday, was the long awaited Homecoming Day, which was filled with lots of fun activities.

Hoover’s population started the morning right with a Homecoming Day rally and float presentation. The whole school watched as the float members of each class dance their hearts out in hopes of taking home the win. Freshmen danced to, “Chutes and Ladders”, Sophomores danced to, “CandyLand”, Juniors danced to, “Monopoly”, and Seniors danced to, “Life”. This year’s Homecoming Float judges were Mr. Heu, Mr. Gonzales, Ms. Flesh and Mr. Ginsberg and they struggled to choose the winners, but in the end, finally decided that Seniors deserved first place, Juniors and Sophomores second place, and Freshmen third place.

The shocking news that left everyone puzzled was when they announced that there was a tie between the sophomore and juniors. Mostly all the juniors argued about this, saying they should’ve won. They both did a good job, but the juniors songs weren’t school appropriate which cause them not to win 1st and for the sophomores, they didn’t put effort into their dancing. Who do you think should’ve won? The sophomores or the juniors? There is still tension about that. Again 1st place went to the seniors with most people liking the part with “La Chona”, because once they put it on, everyone started cheering ad getting up to dance. Everyone did a good job, but most important everyone was having fun.

At the end of the day to finish off Homecoming week and to welcome the Homecoming dance there was a parade where all the academies, clubs and classes marched to represent themselves. Students cheered and chanted their academies or clubs name. Also, Joe Austin the principal at Hoover High school and the mascot riding in and old school car, that made the end of homecoming week the best day ever for Hoover High School.

The ASB staff did a wonderful job planning every event during the school and night with the Homecoming Game and dance. The student section was filled with hyped students, including the infamous Hoo-Ryde Boys, and for the first time ever, our very own “GoHooverGirls” who painted their bellies to support our Varsity Football team! Unfortunately, we lost our Homecoming game with 27-34. Although we lost, our student body and football team remained positive and looked forward to the Homecoming Dance the following night at the Hilton.

On Saturday the 19th, after hours of preparation, everyone headed to the Hilton hotel and danced the night away. For the first time ever, one of our very own students, Kaleb Pineda, was behind the DJ table and got everybody hyped up!

“It was fun and a memorable night! Especially since it was my first Homecoming, it will be a highlight of my high school experience,” said Junior Lily Teer.

Sadly, homecoming week and dance was over quickly bout these are moments we will always remember throughout our high school years.