Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

Kira Hawkins

Kira Hawkins

Noshe Russell, Staff Writer

Jennifer Lawrence has been rumored to be casts as “Mulan” in the newly re-mastered film Mulan. This has caused a lot of controversy between the director and many of the fans of Mulan. Having someone white play a Chinese character is not what anyone was expecting when they said “we’re making re-making Mulan”.

Mulan is a well-known Disney movie that many adults and children love. When the so called rumor that Jennifer Lawrence will be playing “Mulan” has been a false one. “Unreel News”, a parody account, posted the rumor and it spread like wildfire. Sadly the news of it being a false wasn’t enough to put out the fire. Soon as it hit Twitter many people began to start a petition asking the director to change the casting. Many people seemed to not be so happy with the casting and this sparked a serious problem that has been going on for ages.

Over the past eight years Hollywood has been very picky on whom they want to play certain characters. For example Scarlett Johansson will be playing a lead role in the anime series Ghost in The Shell. This has caused uproar in the Japanese community, because it is a Japanese character being portrayed by a Caucasian woman. Young children look up to fictional characters like this. Many people of Chinese and Japanese decent feel that having a character that is based off their history, culture, or views and perspectives on things not look like them really strikes a chord.

It’s also considered demeaning to show that a character has to be played by someone whom might not have any background knowledge on the character and what they stand for. In the end having a white person play a Chinese or Japanese person isn’t quite what anyone wants. The sacred movie’s lead will most likely be played by someone that is Asian/Japanese, and the rumor will die down and the character will get the credit they deserve. Hopefully no one has strike down the producer and he’s able to go on with movie making, and it comes out a success.

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

Clubs and Academics

Choir’s Back!

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

FORTNITE

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

Pitch Perfect 3

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

Culture

Over the Mountain Top

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

Black Mirror: Review

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

Alex Aiono Visits Hoover!

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

Seasonal Trends

• Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence

Culture

Hoover Wins at Del Mar!

• Arts & Entertainment

Orchestra’s Coming Back!

Mulan vs. Jennifer Lawrence