Honoring Black History Month

Charles Jock

Trung To, Staff Writer

February is when we celebrate Black History Month, and it’s also a time when many influential people are recognized for their contributions to society. However, despite the recognition, there are many that go unnoticed. These “Unsung Heroes” are not on the radar. One of them is a man named Charles Jock.

Mr. Jock is an African American who was able to qualify in the 2016 Rio Olympics. Jock was born in Ethiopia after his parents escaped the civil war in Sudan. Jock and his parents made it to San Diego, California, and this was where things took off for Jock. Even though his father passed away, he still managed to push on with his academics and sports. He attended Mission Bay High School, and continued his education at UC Irvine, where he received an athletic scholarship. He was recommended to try out for track and field by his basketball coach, and excelled in the sport. He’s been making his way up since joining track and field. He was given the opportunity to represent the United States in the 2011 World Championships in Athletics where he competed in the 800 meter run. This was just a precursor to his qualification for the 2016 U.S. Olympic team in Rio.

He’s a motivational person because of the things he’s done. Despite his father passing away, he was still able to become the person he is today.  He’s a reminder that you don’t have to come from anywhere special to have a great future. He was born in a refugee camp and ended up participating in the Olympics. He also came from a local area, meaning he’s a symbol of hope for many young people within the area hoping to make it as big as he did. Despite being a very athletic person, he’s still a human. And his words remind young athletes why they shouldn’t stop;

Why the hell am I running track? After recovering, you get up and do your second rep, and you’re like, ‘Why am I running track, for real?’ But after you roll on the ground for a little bit and recover, you feel satisfied. It’s that post workout satisfaction that’s good. That’s what keeps us going.

• Honoring Black History Month

Showcase

New Update on the Tardy Policy

• Honoring Black History Month

Seniors

Senior Readiness

• Honoring Black History Month

Showcase

Hoover Beautification

• Honoring Black History Month

Clay Expressions at Kensington Gallery

• Honoring Black History Month

Sex Trafficking in San Diego

• Honoring Black History Month

Showcase

Spring Sports Recap

• Honoring Black History Month

Culture

Culture Clash

• Honoring Black History Month

Pepsi Commercial Controversy

• Honoring Black History Month

Showcase

Drunk Driving

• Honoring Black History Month

Showcase

2017 Yearbook Cover!

Honoring Black History Month