Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Giana Munoz, Staff Writer

Everyday there’s a new news story of minorities being gunned down. Thanks to our new President Donald Trump, racist fueled acts are least gaining more attention if not becoming more frequent. It is saddening to know that you will face some kind of prejudice throughout your life if you’re a minority just because of the color of your skin. It is alarming that you might even get killed or abused even by police, that you have to be afraid of the people who are supposed to protect the lives of citizens.

Stephon Clark was a young hardworking single father of two children, ages three and one. Clark was African American, and brutally murdered by two white police officers. He was shot twenty times, a way to make sure he was dead. The rational being they “accidentally thought “ Clark had a gun, which turned out to be a cellphone in his pocket.

Everything was caught on camera by their body cams. Although everything is clear as to what happened, no one is fighting for the justice of Clark’s life; the police officers were fired and charges have yet to be filed. How does that make sense? Why is it that our country now continues racist acts like this? Being an officer is no easy task, but it’s important that these “mistakes” stop from reoccurring.

No one in this world should face such hatred over who they are, and no one should discriminate or feel superior. Everyone at least in this country should be able to feel free to embrace the color of their skin instead of being afraid for their lives. Stephon has not been the only victim of hate crimes by police officers, he is only one of many that has been brought to light. Being an officer means that there can’t be any bad apples, however it seems like everyday there’s a new story of misconduct. How many more bad apples is it going to take before we realize the tree producing these apples is contaminated.

Giana Munoz, Staff Writer

My name is Giana Isis Munoz, I am 17 years old and I was born in El Centro, California on the third of November. My favorite color is probably either yellow or burgundy, I am a cat lover and my favorite type of food is Thai and Italian. I enjoy listening to music on a daily basis. I also enjoy watching movies, and my favorite subject would probably be art. I listen to all types of music but I would say that I mostly listen to Indie Rock, Rap, and R&B, my favorite kind of movies are drama and suspense/thriller. I go to Hoover high school and I am currently a senior. So far my high school experience has been okay I think that I made a good choice in choosing this school because I’ve learned so much, not only academically but socially. I’m thankful for that. I am really looking forward to graduating this year and becoming independent.

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Hispanic Heritage Month

Ted Hernandez

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

America Ferrera

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Eva Longoria

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Hispanic Heritage Month

Mario Molina

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Selena

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Culture

Cesar Chavez

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Hispanic Heritage Month

Silvestre S. Herrera

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Bruno Mars

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Hispanic Heritage Month

Alex Rodriguez

• Stephon Clark: Remember Him

Carolina Herrera

Stephon Clark: Remember Him