Eddie Aikau

Alissa Porter, Staff Writer

Edward “Eddie” Makuahanai Aikau was born in Kahului, Maui, on May 4, 1946 and was a well-known Hawaiian lifeguard and surfer. The words Makua Hanai in Aikau’s full name means “feeding parent, an adoptive, nurturing, fostering parent,” in the Hawaiian language. As the first lifeguard at Waimea Bay on the island of Oahu, he saved over 500 people and became famous for surfing the big Hawaiian surf, winning several awards including the 1977 Duke Kahanamoku Invitational Surfing Champ.

Aikau was a descendant of Hewahewa, the kahuna nui (high priest) of King Kamehameha I and his successor Kamehameha II. Aikau first learned how to surf at Kahului Harbor on its shorebreak. He moved to Oʻahu with his family in 1959, and at the age of 16 left school and started working at the Dole pineapple cannery; The paycheck allowed Aikau to buy his first surfboard.

In 1968, he became the first lifeguard hired by the City & County of Honolulu to work on the North Shore. The City & County of Honolulu gave Aikau the task of covering all of the beaches between Sunset and Haleiwa. Not one life was lost while he served as lifeguard of Waimea Bay, as he braved waves that often reached 30 feet (9.1 m) high or more. In 1971, Aikau was named Lifeguard of the Year.

At 31 years of age, Aikau joined the voyage as a crew member. The Hōkūleʻa left the Hawaiian islands on March 16, 1978. The double-hulled voyaging canoe developed a leak in one of the hulls and later capsized about twelve miles south of the island of Molokaʻi. In an attempt to get help, Aikau paddled toward Lānaʻi on his surfboard. Although the rest of the crew were later rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard, Aikau was never seen again. He was officially pronounced dead on March 17, 1978.

In Aikau’s honor, the surfwear company Quiksilver sponsors “The Eddie”—the Quiksilver Big Wave Invitational in Memory of Eddie Aikau at Waimea Bay.

Alissa Porter, Staff Writer

Alissa Porter is a strong and independent black young lady . You can count on her for anything, she is responsible, outgoing , and kind to everyone around her. Always making everyone smile even if they had a bad day. When you see hrt the last thing you’ll think es que soy Mexicana ( I a Mexican). Hardest thing Alissa ever faced was losing her mom at the age of 5 and it’s also where she got her Mexican heritage from, her sangre mexicana running through her veins. One thing people should already know about her is that she loves to talk and she will talk to anybody. She always looks for the best in people and wishes the best future for them. In school she is very smart and gets her work done and if she needs help she is not afraid to ask. Her goals are to become a therapist or social worker. She would love to help those in need so they know that they are not alone in this world. She plans on going to four year university and getting her masters and her doctorate. She is an older to two siblings and helps out at her grandparents house. She wishes her brother and sister the best and never be afraid to anything.

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Chef Tina Luu

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Sung Kang

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Brenda Song

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Brandon Lee

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Don Ho

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Yuri Kochiyama

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Ken Jeong

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Roman Reigns

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

James Hong

• Eddie Aikau

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Pat Morita

Eddie Aikau