Maya Lin

Jessica Sanchez, Staff Writer

Maya Ying Lin was born in Athens, Ohio on October 5, 1959. Lin is an American architect, designer and a environmentalist. Her parents immigrated from their homeland China in 1948, a year before the communist took over. She attended Yale where studied architecture and sculpture; she graduated in 1981 with a bachelor’s degree.

When Lin was twenty one years old, she entered a competition to honor the soldiers who served and died in the Vietnam War. Her design won beating about 1,400 submissions; the design was completed in October 1982. Instead of enjoying Lin’s design, many people disliked it. People thought the design was non-traditional for a war memorial. Some also found the design controversial due to her Asian ethnicity and her lack of professional experience. Lin received numerous messages of hate after her ethnicity was revealed; Ross Perot, who failed his bid for president, called her an “egg roll” after knowing her ethnicity.

Maya Lin has received a great amount of recognition for her talent. In 1987, Lin was among the youngest to be awarded an honorary Doctorate of Fine Arts by Yale. In 1994, she was the subject of Maya Lin: A Strong Clear Vision. In her address that she gave at Juniata College in Huntington, Pennsylvania, she said “My work originates from a simple desire to make people aware of their surroundings and this can include not just the physical but the psychological world that we live in.”

Jessica Sanchez, Senior Editor

Jessica Sanchez was born and raised in San Diego, California. She’s a senior and is part of the Academy of Literature, Media and Arts. School is her main priority. She is always trying to challenge herself and tries to get an A in every class. She has five sisters who she loves a lot, and has a great relationship with her family. Jessica loves helping out in her community and she volunteers at least three times a month. She often volunteers at the Euclid Development Center here in City Heights. She is involved with the Reading Legacies program; reading to younger students is important to her because she wants to help them expand their vocabulary and knowledge. She is also part of the Octagon Club and does community service with them as well.

Career wise, Jessica wants to do something related to film. She is thinking of becoming a movie director or a video editor.  In her free time, Jessica enjoys watching her favorite tv shows, Criminal Minds and The Good Doctor. Aside from this, she likes to go on “adventures” with her friends whenever she has time.

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Chef Tina Luu

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Sung Kang

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Brenda Song

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Brandon Lee

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Don Ho

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Yuri Kochiyama

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Ken Jeong

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Roman Reigns

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

James Hong

• Maya Lin

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Pat Morita

Maya Lin