“Slavery Was A Choice”

Olivia Aceves, Staff Writer

Weeks ago, Kanye West, an American singer, rapper, songwriter, record producer, entrepreneur, fashion designer, and a voice for the black community even referred by some as “Yeezus,” made a very disturbing comment on TMZ stating, “ Slavery was a choice.”  As many people know Africans were TAKEN against their will to the United States.

In addition, African leaders (mainly men) were raped in front of their people by white men so Africans would be fearful of these intruders. Their culture, language, and self-love were taken from them. Africans lost their identity and shifted to a position of servitude. They were negroes, and nigg**s.

West, a black man raised in Chicago with little to no economic resources, feels as if Africans who were taken from Africa wanted to be beat, raped, overworked, and so much more that we don’t know, due to the fact that history was rewritten so we can see the world through the white man’s eyes. West explains that he believes slavery was a choice because Africans outnumbered the whites, yet they continued to be abused rather than to fight back. West’s statement didn’t have facts to back up his claim and public opinion shifted to the point where he is being referred to as an “Uncle Tom.”

West, damaged the black community because to other groups, he’s seen as almost an ambassador, which is not correct.  But because of this perception, ignorant individuals have the green light to defend their views because of him.

As of today blacks are still fighting for equality. In a time of prison reform and police brutality, comments like these discourage the efforts of people fighting for equality.

Olivia Aceves, Staff Writer
Olivia Aceves is a high school senior . She’s a 17 year old mixed woman, she’s mixed with Black and Mexican. Her mom is Black and Mexican and her dad is Mexican, however, she was raised on her mom’s Black side of the family so she identifies as Black. She has an older brother named...
  • “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Chef Tina Luu

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Sung Kang

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Brenda Song

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Brandon Lee

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Don Ho

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Yuri Kochiyama

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Ken Jeong

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Roman Reigns

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

James Hong

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month

Pat Morita

“Slavery Was A Choice”