A divided nation

Back to Article
Back to Article

A divided nation

Angela Galan, Staff Writer

Before President Donald Trump was elected into office, he has been bragging about a wall that he wanted built to separate Mexico from the United States. I personally think that President Trump has never had a wall to build. Why you might ask? Because we certainly don’t have the money to build a wall. The wall will cost an estimated $5.7 – 25 billion dollars and millions more to maintain throughout the year.

The President has gone to lengths to try to get this wall built. He has said that the Mexican government will pay this wall, but when they refused, President Trump started looking for money in the pockets of American citizens. He shut down the government when they refused and stated why he should be allowed to take money out of the military budget to help build this wall. It’s an absolutely preposterous idea. Taking money out of the military to build a wall that basically has become a symbol of racism. The wall has caused so much racial hate at the immigrant people from Trump supporters. Since he had claimed to be running for president of the United States, this country’s people have been separated and are no longer a united country.

It has really pained my heart because from a young age, they tell us that America is a nation for the free and for all to be welcomed. The country that I see now is not the country that they had depicted to me. I know that racism has been a big part of the American history even before we had officially become the United States of America but it’s been centuries and things haven’t really changed with people’s perspective. My perspective of the President of the United States is he is trying to depict himself as a president for the people but all I see is an orange tyrant.

Angela Galan, Staff Writer

Angela Galan Martinez is a junior and part of the ALMA academy. She’s currently living with her mother, grandparents, and two twin brothers. She’s...

• A divided nation

Editorials

Neutral bathrooms are needed

• A divided nation

Editorials

One person can make a difference

• A divided nation

Editorials

My privacy belongs to me

• A divided nation

Editorials

Trust is not any easy thing

• A divided nation

Editorials

Neverending State of Fear

• A divided nation

Editorials

In Case You Missed it

• A divided nation

Editorials

Hoover Speaks After Tragedy

• A divided nation

Editorials

SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

• Arts & Entertainment

Artists against Trump

• Editorials

Why are Feminine Products taxed as a Luxury?

A divided nation