Weighing Down Your College Options

Kassandra Azzoo, Staff Writer

Universities and colleges are known to send their rejection and acceptance letters by March 30th at the latest; depending on the actual university and college. When acceptance letters are received, have you considered what university or college you would like to attend? Be sure to keep basic factors in mind such as necessities, tuition, location and long term goals.

If you want to leave the state and are seeking adventure, consider your living options. Whether you would like to dorm or live in a nearby apartment, think of the total expenses. Some universities offer lowered dorm expenses, so keep all of your options open. If you did want to live in the dorms, what would be your limit as to how many people you could tolerate sharing the room space with. Do you mind Co-Ed? Homesickness may or may not become an issue, but it’s definitely something to take into account for.

It is possible that you may find yourself getting a full ride with a scholarship to an out of state university, which would potentially work perfectly, although different factors lead to diverse scenarios. Be sure to maintain a realistic goal and know what you want. Some guardians and relatives may not want you to leave the state for one reason or another. Make sure to talk about your schooling options with guardians and relatives so that they are aware and do not fret. Overall it is up to you as the student to make your decision when the time comes.

If pursuing a university or college in state, keep in mind all the options available to you as an upcoming freshman in college. Will you be living at home, rooming with a friend, or staying in dorms? Take food expenses and transportation into account. You may be offered a meal card and if you do work save money. Also be aware that transportation may become an issue: gas prices changing like day and night. You should know if you can afford a car or even the use of busses as transportation. Although you have to wake up earlier in order to get to class on time.

Acceptance letters provide a marvelous lingering emotion especially considering one of the letters may be from your dream school! Stay safe fellow cardinals and be sure to know the pros and cons of each possible school before finalizing your choice.