Dorms vs. Off-Campus Housing

Angie Muller, Staff Writer

There are many things to consider in the next few months for the Class of 2016. As college acceptance letters are rolling in, it is time to think about what to do after you commit to a college to attend in the fall. One of the biggest questions would have to be: Where are you going to live, dorms or off-campus housing? There are many pros and cons to both options, but this decision should take some careful time and consideration. While many current or former college students may be weighing their opinions on you, it is best to decide on your own because every individual is different.

Living in the dorms is a common option. You are on campus, so it is easier to get to your classes and be aware of the events happening. It will also make working on campus much easier. Another pro is making friends! Living with a roommate in a dorm will help you meet many new people and form your sense of community on the campus. The biggest con of living in the dorms would have to be the costs. It is a bit expensive and unless it is included in your financial aid, you might have to take out a loan. Additionally, if you are not a big fan of sharing space with a roommate, dorming would probably not be an interest of yours.

Off-campus housing is another great option. Living in an apartment or staying at home has many benefits. You are much more independent and have more freedom to be an adult and full-time student. It is also significantly cheaper if you are living at home. If you get an apartment, you might have to take on a part-time job to maintain that living style. Some cons would be detachment from your campus. It is harder to meet new people and to keep up with school events. But it is absolutely still possible to have an exciting college life while living off-campus!

I would personally choose to live off-campus because I am an independent person, so I want to live on my own and have my own personal space. Everyone is different and you can make the best out of either option, regardless of the cons. No matter which living option works best for you, do not let others dictate your decisions. This is your future, your higher education, your choice.