Senior Advice: Taking the SAT/ACT

Annika Kheav, Staff Writer

I am currently a senior at Hoover High and I have taken the SAT three times and the ACT twice. The SAT and ACT are two crucial exams that are not needed to graduate high school, but must be taken if students are planning to apply to four-year colleges. The SAT contains Math, English, Reading, Science and an optional writing prompt, while the ACT contains Math, English, Reading and an optional writing prompt. These two are probably the most stressful tests because the higher score, the better chance you have in getting to the school of your choice.

When you sign up for the tests please double check your application with either another student, teacher, or counselor before submitting and printing because this a very important test that you do not want to mess up on any information! Make sure your full name matches your student ID card and that you study your hardest the big day! I cannot stress out enough how important it is to study for a test like this. I honestly did not study, and yes I do regret it because I did not receive a high score that I hoped for. Remember, these tests are based on a lot of new or old subjects within your years of high school so sometimes you may just forget and it’s okay. Go back and revise every math test or quiz you took because I can guarantee you it will most likely be on the math portion of the tests. This option will cost money, but if you would really like to prepare yourself, one of the best options is to buy an SAT or ACT preparation book to study along the way. Do not be afraid to ask your teachers for help on what may be on the test because you never know, they may take the time out of their day to help you. Also, if you would like other one-on-one learning, go to tutoring after school and ask for help. Tutors in the library are very helpful, but most people do not use this resource because they are lazy; do not be lazy!

The SAT and ACT will be one of the most challenging tests for your junior and senior year. Just relax and have confidence in yourself. Having enough sleep and food in your system definitely helps a lot. I personally struggle with test anxiety, which is partially why I had a bad score to begin with, but make sure you have all the motivation and support that you can get from anyone to keep you pushing because I never had that. Whether or not you are bad at a certain subject in the SAT or ACT, just give it your all and try your best. The test is timed but you’re given breaks in between the test sections, so give yourself a breather and focus. If you can focus and go throughout the day with school, you can last a 4-5 hour test! Don’t forget to bring nutritious snacks and water with you. Be prepared with your own supplies and bring a sharpener and eraser. When bringing a calculator, please bring one that is on the list that is allowed in the testing center because if you bring the wrong one, you cannot use that calculator.

The SAT and ACT are tests that you must take seriously. Do not be scared though, you will be in college someday and looking back at high school saying to yourself “I did it”!