Why Are There Less Spirit Weeks?

Maria Garcia, Staff Writer

Spirit week is one of the most fun weeks in the school year, especially when it’s all about dressing like someone you know, crazy hair day, pajama day, western day, etc. however we are haven’t had many of them this year. Hoover High should be more enthusiastic with more spirit weeks, because without those students may think Hoover has become boring and dull.

For me, spirit week is a fun week where I can dress or look a certain way without being judged. It is not only to have fun, but for students to have spirit when participating in a school event. If it’s for school, then why aren’t there more spirit weeks?! It is not like administration has to pay for this event; it’s voluntary for students to participate.

I think there are less spirit weeks because maybe the ones in charge are either too lazy, too busy, or don’t have ideas to propose but again I’m not sure why. I don’t think it’s too hard to come up with an idea that students would want to engage in, which doesn’t explain why we don’t have more spirit weeks. For example, they can have a day to wear all-black outfits, since that color is popular in today’s society and a lot of students would participate willingly.

I think there are some students who wouldn’t care if there was spirit week either way, because whenever there is one, most students don’t participate. Back in middle school, I remember that when there was a spirit week I would see a ton of people participating. It seemed that students really liked it and enjoyed it, but now it seems that high school students think it might be dumb or they’re too old for that kind of stuff. If you think about some new ideas for spirit week, perhaps it could be dressing nice, dressing like a hippie, a celebrity, the oldies, etc. students might be more involved. They could also let students choose what they want or vote for what they want.

Students might think it’s old or the ideas are not so good, but we could change that and probably even have more spirit weeks to increase spirit at Hoover.