Hoover Beautification

Hoover+Beautification

Louis Lopez, Staff Writer

Many people consider Hoover High School as “a bad school.” Unfortunately, we had a few bad events in the past shape and determine our image of a whole community. On April 29,  many students from Hoover took a first step in fixing that image by joining together in an effort to make the school a better place. With over one hundred Hoover students, alumnis, administrators, and program coordinators from Cardinals Interact, they worked a beautification event in order to restore Hoover’s campus.

Some of the clubs and organizations in attendance were Cardinals Interact and ROTC. The beautification project included painting the gate between the 200 building and the library, picking weeds off the ground, and fixing up areas with trees. Participants showed up as early as seven in the morning and stayed until two in the afternoon. This community service project was Hoover’s way of showing that we have students that care about the school and are willing to get up early on a weekend in order to help make the school a better place. To reward for everyone’s hard work, a pizza lunch was provided and everyone sat down to talk and meet former Hoover students. Though the participants were rewarded with food and shirts, nothing matches the great feeling of giving back to the school they attend. The dedication to improve the community was a great way to show that the community of City Heights has a great future.

Simple community service projects such as this one should be encouraged and performed by more clubs on campus. Hoover is home of many different clubs that together can make an astounding impact in improving the school and community. During the summer, community service projects such as this one should be done by all clubs in Hoover so we can further impact the school, build leadership principles, and learn the value of hard work.