New Update on the Tardy Policy

Carlos Salazar, Staff Writer

Hoover has introduced a new addition to the tardy policy. The current tardy policy included keeping students that are not in class by 7:30 am, in groups according to their building number that their classroom is located in. But now, the policy introduces lunch detention.

This new policy obligates students to attend lunch detention for having two tardies in one week. A pass will be sent to the student during third period, informing them that they have lunch detention. If students do not attend, he or she will not be able to go to first period unless they have a parent or guardian to check them in. This new update on the policy is to encourage students to come to school on time.  This policy can be useful for the students that are always late on purpose because this can help them get to school on time.

However, this new addition can also be unfair to some that come late because of an understandable excuse. To be excused from getting a lunch detention, students can talk to Mr. Johnnes about a reason on why they come late. Maybe a student has a little sibling that goes to school at and they have to drop them off which leads to them being late and that can be discussed with Mr. Johns and get an excused tardy.  

“It’s pointless and it only takes more time out of them being in class and it doesn’t help anyone,” said junior Jocelyn Venegas.

It seems true that the tardy policy is not really going to help anyone because everyday students are always going to come late and it’s not going to stop. All the policy does is waste students’ learning time.  It is good to argue that the policy is pointless, however, if students arrived on time, there wouldn’t be a reason for this policy.

Carlos Salazar, Staff Writer
Carlos Salazar is a Senior at Hoover High school. He is a staff writer for Yearbook. He has a huge passion for cars and is an animal lover. He has exotic pets such as a ball python, a bearded dragon, a Chinese water dragon, and a rose hair tarantula. Carlos enjoys heavy metal music. His...
  • New Update on the Tardy Policy

A Night to Remember

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

Opinion

LOP Targets the Involved

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

Another Day Another Tragedy

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

Opinion

Grad Night

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

New Perspective on an Classic Rite of Passage

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

Features

Jeremy Pushes the Envelope Once Again

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

Opinion

Ofo Bikes Over Walking

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

Seniors

Seniors Hand it off to the Underclassman

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

Opinion

Are Drills Preparing Us?

• New Update on the Tardy Policy

Culture

Stephon Clark: Remember Him

New Update on the Tardy Policy