ID Policy Update

Elizabeth Lopez, Staff Writer

According to the Hoover High School Cardinal Student and Family Handbook, students are now required to carry their student ID cards at all times in campus. It is required for attendance, food service, textbook and materials, finance office transactions, and school event admission. For returning students or freshmen, they will receive these card during the first week of school for free. Unfortunately, Not all students are responsible and will lose their IDs. If that’s the case the replacement will cost $3.50.

Not everyone believes this should be a requirement, in fact several students agree that it is not as important as administration is making it seem. Unless it is for the purpose of checking books out because it does save a lot of time, a quick scan saves the librarian time out of her day. Besides that, there doesn’t seem to be additional benefits.

However, a staff member agrees that it should be a requirement, Mrs. Revilla mentioned “It is something that will be very helpful for staff members to identify students.” It might not be beneficial for certain students, who like to cause trouble because they will be easily identified but this might even help with not having as much school  damage or even ditching. In fact they will think about it before doing something they are not supposed to but those same kids will be the ones without the IDs. It will be very hard to make all the students carry them but for those who care, it won’t be a problem.

This was not a requirement in the past years but now it has been implemented. It will eventually do more good than harm, it will even speed up the process of the many things on campus. It is also something students should be getting used to carry. Adulthood is right around the corner and it is very important to carry an identification.