Winter Sports Are Here!

Amie Muller, Staff Writer

As fall sports come to an end, winter sports are having tryouts and preparing for their season. Four different winter sports here at Hoover are Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys and Girls Soccer, Wrestling, and Cheerleading. All the winter sports had conditioning during the fall to help get players back in shape and prepare them for the start of the season.

The Girls Basketball had training all year long with offseason conditioning. This year, Coach Vanessa Stahley is coaching the girls’ varsity basketball team while also overseeing all sports as the new athletic director. As for Junior Varsity, the girls are getting a new coach, former player and Hoover alum, Coach Alviah Fullylove.

The Boys Basketball team has also been training with offseason practices and summer league as well. With head Coach Walter Fellusme coaching varsity and making all the executive decisions on both Junior Varsity and Freshmen, the boys will have lots of expectations to live up to.

Girls soccer have been training all summer and fall season with head Coach Sulema Felix to make sure this 2017-18 season is the best one yet. Having to share the football field with the boys soccer team has been a challenge every year. However, the girls don’t let that problem stop them from winning games and making sure they have a great overall season.

Boys soccer has been training hard since the end of last season. The boys work hard to make it once again to CIF Finals and win this season. They work hard and will continue to work hard all season long to win the CIF title and make Hoover proud once again. With head Coach Jose De Los Santos, the boys are pushed to their limits to work hard with conditioning and practices.

Wrestling has lots of conditioning and training during offseason to prepare for the season. With new head Coach Charles, lots of wrestlers can expect to train hard for an amazing season. Wrestlers have lots to do to prepare for the season like making sure they’re in shape and keeping a steady diet while maintaining their school and social life.

Cheerleading is a fall sport that extends into winter. With the cheerleading squad wrapping up football season and preparing for basketball, the Cardinals have to learn different cheers for the upcoming basketball games. The cheerleaders still practicing hard to keep their spirits and energy up for the second half of their season.

If you’re looking to get involved in any extracurricular activities or are looking to get back into shape for this upcoming season, come and try out for any of the following winter sports. Let’s hope all the winter sports have an amazing season and make it far in terms of playoffs and CIF.