SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Back to Article
Back to Article

SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Sofonyas Shibre, Editor in Chief

Net Neutrality is a basic trust held by our providers and their customers, so when we surf the internet, no website gets an unfair advantage. This may come to an end.  On December 14, the Federal Communication Commision will vote whether to forgo Net Neutrality.

Private citizens have organized and started petitions to fight back. The fall of Net Neutrality will affect everyone here at Hoover, since most homework is currently done by computer.  Can you magine Google Classroom slowed to a halt because you didn’t pay the correct bill.

If the vote to overturn goes through, businesses can bill their clients based on the websites and services they would like to recieve. For example, there could  be a social media category that doesn’t cover a work category. Powerful businesses could pay more to receive higher quality internet while small businesses, that can’t afford to pay, are left in the slow lane. This creates a monopoly where there is no competition and the conglomerates dominate industries.

Net Neutrality doesn’t only affect the economy, people of color trying to organize events may hit roadblocks. If a provider deems the information inappropriate, the website may be blocked to all subscribers. For people of color, with little form of mass communication, this can be devastating. Protests and other forms of public outcry might be stopped with a click of a button.

Net Neutrality wasn’t given.  It was fought for by those that believed that the internet was for the people not a forum for industry to siphon money from its clients. Don’t give it up without a fight, go to http://act.freepress.net/sign/internet_wake_up_destroy/?source=what and sign up on the online petiton.

Sofonyas Shibre, Former Editor in Chief 2017-2018

When I'm not publishing articles, I'm playing soccer and volleyball for my school. I love my sports in general, from basketball to just going to the gym,...

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

Pros and cons of the caffeine fix

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

A divided nation

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

Neutral bathrooms are needed

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

One person can make a difference

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

My privacy belongs to me

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

Trust is not any easy thing

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

Neverending State of Fear

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

In Case You Missed it

• SAVE NET NEUTRALITY

Editorials

Hoover Speaks After Tragedy

• Arts & Entertainment

Artists against Trump

SAVE NET NEUTRALITY