The SAFE Program

Devahni Vergara, Staff Writer

Senioritis is a myth to those who are not seniors or have never experienced it but to others it’s a real disease. You don’t need to be doctor to know that. Senioritis only happens to seniors especially near the middle of the school year, affecting the way they perform in school. Symptoms of this disease may include frequent absences, indifference, poor work ethic and quality, and disinterest in school-related activities and academics. It starts off with thinking you’re fine and procrastinating, then it spreads to others by classmates who are unmotivated. The first semester is almost over and out principal, Mr. Babineau, created a solution which is in a trial run right now with the academies SABE (Sustainable Academy of Building and Engineering)  and AOIT (Academy of Information Technology). A lot of seniors report cards have not been the best since the senioritis epidemic began. So a way to stop this is the SAFE program.

The SAFE program, or Scholar Alliance for Excellence, helps these seniors from fully obtaining this disease by being paired anonymously to keep each other accountable for their performance and progress. There will be a fellow senior keeping an eye on you and making sure you’re not falling behind or starting to catch senioritis. They will have weekly accountability sheets with bad habits like missing school, tardies, sleeping in class, using your phone inappropriately, disrupting others, being off task, being disrespectful to fellow peers, talking excessively, or anything distracting to you or others. Students create a mantra/slogan to make sure their focus and determination motivates them until the end. The administration and teachers have worked hard to create this program to help seniors succeed in the last months of high school. If all goes as planned and students grades and citizenships are high, or better than what they before, the SAFE program will be applied to all seniors.