George Washington Carver

George Washington Carver

Devanhi Vergara, Staff Writer

George Washington Carver, or The Peanut Man because of his new and alternative uses for peanuts, was born into slavery under the ownership of Moses Carver. Because there was no school for black students, George was educated by Susan Carver, Moses’ wife, along with his brother James. He was later accepted to Highland College but denied the admission because of his race. Accepting it, he moved to a farmhouse and conducted biological experiments and geological collection.

Following a different path, Carver studied art and music at Simpson College in Iowa State. After graduating with a Bachelors of Science, he went into a career of teaching and research which led him to run the agricultural department in 1896. He later created a “mobile classroom”, driving to farmers to teach them. He called the mobile the Jesup Wagon.
George was recognized by the British Royal Society of Arts, an organization focused on finding solutions to social challenges, which is rare for Americans. He was also noticed by Gandhi because of their common goals. Together they helped the poor and got teachers in India. They were friends for the last decade of George’s life.

“He could have added fortune to fame, but caring for neither, he found happiness and honor in being helpful to the world,” said Moses Carver.