Harriet Tubman

Andy Ngoly, Staff Writer

Historical and prominent Black American Harriet Tubman was an American abolitionist, humanitarian, and an armed scout and spy for the United States Army during the American Civil War. She was born in Dorchester County, MD but unfortunately died March 10, 1913 in Auburn, NY caused by pneumonia. Tubman was born into slavery in the South, and escaped in 1849, additionally making several returns to rescue approximately seventy enslaved families and friends. The Underground Railroad was a lifeline for slaves escaping to freedom, during a ten-year span she made 19 trips into the South and escorted over 300 slaves to freedom, never losing a passenger within the journey.

Harriet Tubman made an incredible impact on society, she escaped in Philadelphia, she was determined to rescue her family and other blacks who were still enslaved, managing to free her parents, siblings, and many others. Furthermore her ability in doing so was successful every time leading slaves safely into freedom, she became known as “Moses.” She would always carry a pistol not afraid to use it, in the scenario of having protection from present slave catchers, and also threatened to shoot any escaped slave who tried to turn back on the journey endangering the current groups’ safety. Although Tubman did not win any awards, the civil rights activist had schools, organizations and a museum named in her honor.

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.
-Harriet Tubman

Andy Ngoly, Staff Writer

Andy Ngoly comes from a Vietnamese background, but was born and raised in San Diego. He is a student at Hoover High School in the Academy of Literature, Media and Arts. He is entering his senior year and has been doing yearbook for two years. Yearbook and Publications helps him with his photography skills and organization for making layouts. In the past he has volunteered at Qualcomm TET Festival while also doing lion dance; a Chinese tradition. Not only does he lion dance but he is also involved in various clubs such as APAC, Key Club, and programs like Little Saigon Foundation, SDSU Talent Search, and MidCity-CAN. In the future he aspires to go to UCSD or UCI majoring or having a career in psychology, a pediatrician, a pharmacist, or anything in the medical field. Andy is a huge lover of boba and Korean BBQ “I could go for it any day,” said Andy. On his free time his hobbies include hanging out with his family and friends, going to the beach, playing volleyball for fun, and socializing on social media. His favorite music genre is R&B and Pop/Hip Hop. “Pearls as dark as can be, flavored tea flows inside of me.”

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Ms. Noyes

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Langston Hughes

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Frederick McKinley Jones

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Wangari Muta Maathai

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Jimi Hendrix

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Claudette Colvin

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Sojourner Truth

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Kobe Bryant

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Michael Jordan

• Harriet Tubman

Black History Month

Dave Chappelle

Harriet Tubman