Bob Marley

Karyme Guzman, Staff Writer

Bob Marley had a huge impact on the world and is still popular today. He was able to promote peace and freedom through what he loved, music. Everyone looked up to Marley for voicing his opinion and fearless of the outcome. Marley died in 1981 and his music is still selling over millions. Marley began his career in music by starting a band with his friends called the Wailing Wailers. He sold more than 20 million records with this band and like any other band, they had some trouble. They weren’t making enough financially and the band soon drifted apart, although many of the members left. Marley stayed and then started a group with girls called, Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Marley decided to go to the United States with his mother and continue his path with music. Many people believed that the music Marley produced was wrong. Marley sang about the people and peace, but mostly voiced his opinion. Even though the songs he had were very controversial, people believed in him and followed what he was saying. He was able to help the people believe in peace and for that many looked up to him. The Jamaican government announced, after Bob Marley died, that he would receive the Order of Merit. This honor goes to someone who is recognized for their achievements and Bob Marley achieved many goals, from starting in a place of poverty and getting to living in the United States with his family and being able to voice out in what he believes.

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Ms. Noyes

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Langston Hughes

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Frederick McKinley Jones

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Wangari Muta Maathai

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Jimi Hendrix

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Claudette Colvin

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Sojourner Truth

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Kobe Bryant

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Michael Jordan

• Bob Marley

Black History Month

Dave Chappelle

Bob Marley