Cleaner Campus Our Responsibility?

Giana Munoz, Staff Writer

Our school, compared to many other schools, isn’t as clean as it should be. In the opinion of many students, Hoover is, “dirty” and many other negative names. Students believe that there is a lot of trash around the campus, the bathrooms are disgusting, especially the boy’s, and the classrooms are dirty as well as the hallways. It’s unsafe to have such a dirty school, we already have ants, roaches, and rats.

Some might think that it’s a janitor’s job to maintain the school because that’s what they’re getting paid for. However, what many students don’t take into consideration is that you see, not only the janitors cleaning and picking up after high school students but teachers, security, and even the principal as well. But what about the students? You rarely see any students picking up trash, or cleaning up after themselves. Instead you see them doing to complete opposite; spitting on floors, sticking gum underneath desks, and throwing trash on the floor even when a trashcan is close by.

If you say Hoover is dirty, whose fault is it really? THE STUDENTS. They are the ones that accumulate trash, and are the ones that let it get this way. I believe that if Hoover students clean up after themselves, this school would be way cleaner than it is right now.

“It’s the students fault really, and it’s unsanitary,” explained senior Melissa Carillo. “I can only imagine what their rooms look like.”

Some of these students are 18 already, and it’s just sad to see most of these students blaming janitors instead of accepting the blame; it’s themselves and no one else’s fault. How are we supposed to change the narrative that follows our school, if we can’t clean up after ourselves? We need to create the environment that reflects what Hoover is about.