“Slavery Was A Choice”

Olivia Aceves, Staff Writer

Weeks ago, Kanye West, an American singer, rapper, songwriter, record producer, entrepreneur, fashion designer, and a voice for the black community even referred by some as “Yeezus,” made a very disturbing comment on TMZ stating, “ Slavery was a choice.”  As many people know Africans were TAKEN against their will to the United States.

In addition, African leaders (mainly men) were raped in front of their people by white men so Africans would be fearful of these intruders. Their culture, language, and self-love were taken from them. Africans lost their identity and shifted to a position of servitude. They were negroes, and nigg**s.

West, a black man raised in Chicago with little to no economic resources, feels as if Africans who were taken from Africa wanted to be beat, raped, overworked, and so much more that we don’t know, due to the fact that history was rewritten so we can see the world through the white man’s eyes. West explains that he believes slavery was a choice because Africans outnumbered the whites, yet they continued to be abused rather than to fight back. West’s statement didn’t have facts to back up his claim and public opinion shifted to the point where he is being referred to as an “Uncle Tom.”

West, damaged the black community because to other groups, he’s seen as almost an ambassador, which is not correct.  But because of this perception, ignorant individuals have the green light to defend their views because of him.

As of today blacks are still fighting for equality. In a time of prison reform and police brutality, comments like these discourage the efforts of people fighting for equality.

Olivia Aceves, Staff Writer

Olivia Aceves is a high school senior . She’s a 17 year old mixed woman, she’s mixed with Black and Mexican. Her mom is Black and Mexican and her dad is Mexican, however, she was raised on her mom’s Black side of the family so she identifies as Black.

She has an older brother named Jorge, he’s her brother and best friend. He taught her many things such as fighting, driving, skating, and many more. He is a huge influence on her and he’s one of the many reasons she wants to be a lawyer. Her brother has always been there for her and spent his childhood taking care of her and making sure that she’s ready for the world, she always knew she could count on her brother and no one can mean as much to her as her brother, mom, and dad.

She was born August 31, which makes her a virgo and she’s a strong believer of zodiac signs. Her zodiac sign explains her perfectly. she analyzes everything, she gets along with almost everyone, she’s super friendly, loyal, and determined. Virgos are the best zodiac sign due to the fact that all icons are virgos. For example, Michael Jackson, Beyonce, Tim Burton, Zendaya, and her are virgos. She’s the best person you’ll ever meet if you get to know her and if your on her good side. She’s very nice although she may look mean, it’s just her face, but she’s only mean if you annoy her  and she gets annoyed very easily, she’s also aggressive and down for anything. However, never underestimate her. Olivia is a loud, kind, loving, spiritual, goofy girl and if you get the chance to be her friend or have her in your life, keep her close because everyone needs a little bit of Olivia in their life.

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Hispanic Heritage Month

Ted Hernandez

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

America Ferrera

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Eva Longoria

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Hispanic Heritage Month

Mario Molina

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Selena

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Culture

Cesar Chavez

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Hispanic Heritage Month

Silvestre S. Herrera

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Bruno Mars

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Hispanic Heritage Month

Alex Rodriguez

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Carolina Herrera

“Slavery Was A Choice”