“Slavery Was A Choice”

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Slavery Was A Choice”

Olivia Aceves, Staff Writer

Weeks ago, Kanye West, an American singer, rapper, songwriter, record producer, entrepreneur, fashion designer, and a voice for the black community even referred by some as “Yeezus,” made a very disturbing comment on TMZ stating, “ Slavery was a choice.”  As many people know Africans were TAKEN against their will to the United States.

In addition, African leaders (mainly men) were raped in front of their people by white men so Africans would be fearful of these intruders. Their culture, language, and self-love were taken from them. Africans lost their identity and shifted to a position of servitude. They were negroes, and nigg**s.

West, a black man raised in Chicago with little to no economic resources, feels as if Africans who were taken from Africa wanted to be beat, raped, overworked, and so much more that we don’t know, due to the fact that history was rewritten so we can see the world through the white man’s eyes. West explains that he believes slavery was a choice because Africans outnumbered the whites, yet they continued to be abused rather than to fight back. West’s statement didn’t have facts to back up his claim and public opinion shifted to the point where he is being referred to as an “Uncle Tom.”

West, damaged the black community because to other groups, he’s seen as almost an ambassador, which is not correct.  But because of this perception, ignorant individuals have the green light to defend their views because of him.

As of today blacks are still fighting for equality. In a time of prison reform and police brutality, comments like these discourage the efforts of people fighting for equality.

Olivia Aceves, Staff Writer

Olivia Aceves is a high school senior . She’s a 17 year old mixed woman, she’s mixed with Black and Mexican. Her mom is Black and Mexican and her dad...

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Hispanic Heritage Month

Ted Hernandez

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

America Ferrera

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Eva Longoria

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Hispanic Heritage Month

Mario Molina

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Selena

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Culture

Cesar Chavez

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Hispanic Heritage Month

Silvestre S. Herrera

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Bruno Mars

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Hispanic Heritage Month

Alex Rodriguez

• “Slavery Was A Choice”

Carolina Herrera

“Slavery Was A Choice”