Late start may be coming

Mikayla Siharath, Staff Writer

Could having a late start at school be a better effect for students in school and their bodies? California schools may have to start later due to a new bill that was sent to Governor Jerry Brown, that  requires and prevents middle schools and high schools to start school no earlier than 8:30am.

According to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, teenagers get seven and a half hours of sleep on average. The amount of sleep teenagers need is nine and a half. This could cause sleep deprivation. This condition is most affected on students and teens rather than adults. Sleep deprivation can cause many problems, such as memory issues, trouble with thinking and concentrating, mood changes, higher risk for accidents and injuries, weakened immunity, high blood pressure, risk for diabetes, weight gain, risk of heart disease, poor balance and coordination.

The new bill could also lower the amount of caffeine consumed in teens, who depend on caffeine too much when trying to stay awake during school. Not only does it keep your eyes open, but there are numerous negative ways it can affect your body. Caffeine can cause headaches, irritability, heartburn, nausea and vomiting, muscle aches, diarrhea, fertility issues, pregnancy issues, breaking bones easily, increase bladder problems, increase of blood pressure, and jitters.

If students started late, they could become better physically, mentally, and emotionally just by a later school start. It could lower the risks that could be very serious and life-threatening to many. It could prevent upcoming middle and high school students from having these problems in the future. Just even 30 minutes of more sleep could be a big change.