Setting a Realistic New Year’s Resolution

Senior+Amanda+Leutmixay+prepares+to+drink+out+of+her+thermos+of+tea.+

Senior Amanda Leutmixay prepares to drink out of her thermos of tea.

Jessica Ong, Copy Editor

New Year’s is right around the corner, so what does that mean? Time to figure out what our New Year’s Resolution is going to be! Every year, at 12:00 am on January 1st , people try to devote themselves to a new goal for the rest of the year. Some goals can be to stop cursing, to start exercising, to quit smoking and so many other ideas. Many people even attempt a New Year’s Resolution in order to better themselves and to grow from the previous year.

What is the purpose of a New Year’s Resolution? There is no specific answer, but it can be a way to improve who you are as a person. Since New Year’s is the start to a new year, people consider this as a clean slate. The past is the past, so we must move forward in hopes to a have a better year. By creating a resolution, it can segway how our year will turnout. If your goal is to become a better boxer, then devote yourself to getting stronger, faster, and smarter in every move you make. If your goal is to read more than 100 books, then complete that task! New Year’s Resolutions can only change us for the better.

The hardest thing about the goal we set for ourselves is staying committed. Constantly, we would set a goal to achieve, but become lazy or forget about it. I have done this before, where I set a standard for myself, but refuse to keep up with it. I suggest setting short term goals, which will lead to a long term goal. By doing this, we can take small steps towards our New Year’s Resolution. One of my New Year’s Resolutions is to save enough money to join a travel volleyball club. In hopes to getting recruited for college volleyball, I am determined to practice in open gym volleyball and to do everything in my power to become a stronger and quicker athlete.

“I want to become a better soccer player and run faster on the field,” said freshman Mildred Salazar. By setting a goal for herself, Mildred plans on hustling harder than ever, especially with her soccer season coming up. When 2016 comes around, she plans on doing extra practices to become one of the top soccer players on and off the team.