Carolina Herrera

Back to Article
Back to Article

Carolina Herrera

Makayla Siharath, Staff Writer

Carolina Herrera is a fashion designer who is best known for dressing numerous First Ladies with her elegance, such as Jacqueline Onassis, Laura Bush, and Michelle Obama. She was born in Caracas, Venezuela and is Venezuelan American. She was introduced to the world of fashion from her grandmother who had bought her branded items such as Lanvin and Dior and taking her to shows by Balenciaga, which had opened up Carolina’s eyes.

Carolina Herrera started her career by working as a publicist at Pucci’s Caracas boutique for Emilio Pucci, who is a nobleman and a close family friend. After moving to New York, she appeared on the International Best Dressed List in 1972 for her dramatic style as she frequently associated with others at Studio 54. By 1980, she was then elected to IBD’s Hall of Fame. A year after, she designed a clothing line and made an appearance of her collection at Manhattan’s Metropolitan Club. She had her first runway show and presented her collection at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York. Her company started receiving recognition from clients such as, Caroline Kennedy and Diana (Duchess of Cadaval), to design dresses for their marriages. She also began to develop and market a line of perfumes. By 2012, there are 18 of Carolina Herrera and CH Carolina Herrera boutiques in the world. Her lines were carried in 280 stores in 104 different countries.

Carolina Herrera has been on the cover of Vogue seven times. She was awarded the Gold Medal of the Queen Sofia Spanish Institute in 1997,”Womenswear Designer of the Year” in 2004,  Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008, and has received Fashion group International Superstar Award.

• Carolina Herrera

The importance of arts in schools

• Carolina Herrera

A curse should be scarier

• Carolina Herrera

Avengers: Endgame….but is it?

• Carolina Herrera

The secret is out

• Carolina Herrera

Visit Parks and Recreation

• Carolina Herrera

11th Annual Poetry Contest Winners!

• Carolina Herrera

Black History Month

We Are Excellent!

• Carolina Herrera

Fuerza Regida

• Carolina Herrera

Black History Month

Dion Moore

• Carolina Herrera

Playboi Carti

Carolina Herrera