Do we really need textbooks?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Do we really need textbooks?

Makayla Siharath, Staff Writer

How many school textbooks do you have? How many of them do you actually use in your everyday learning instead of them just sitting at home collecting dust? We have to carry multiple heavy textbooks back and forth for the school day when receiving and returning them just for the purpose of it not to be used at all. Textbook take up so much room in our homes, classrooms, and library when we can fill that space with something much better. The way we use school textbooks needs to be changed.

According to Hayes Software System, a company located in Texas who helps K-12 school districts manage useful and valuable things that allows administrators to make confident data-driven decisions, explains that the California’s William Settlement regarding textbook requirements started due to the fact that thousands of California students were denied the right to education by failing to give them the basic tool necessary, which included access to sufficient textbooks, decent school facilities, and qualifies teachers. Although this may be true, the updated learning where more teachers are trying to become more involved with the student’s education and learning removes the necessity of the use of textbooks. Teacher’s try to communicate more with students and help those who understand more visually instead of getting all the information we need to know and learn off of a textbook.

I believe that we shouldn’t be required to have textbooks. The majority of the students don’t use them and just keeps them at home. Everybody should have the access to textbooks if they need it or if teachers apply the textbook into their learning, but the majority of classes don’t use textbooks in their learning. We should have a choice on whether or not to use the textbooks that are available to us.  Or at least have electronic textbooks we can access from our phones. This would alleviate the need to issue big bulky books.

• Do we really need textbooks?

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Do we really need textbooks?

Fuerza Regida

• Do we really need textbooks?

Playboi Carti

• Do we really need textbooks?

Opinion

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Do we really need textbooks?

Features

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Do we really need textbooks?

Top 10 Valentine’s Movies

• Do we really need textbooks?

Music

Top 10 Love Songs

• Do we really need textbooks?

Tally Hall

• Do we really need textbooks?

Editorials

A divided nation

• Do we really need textbooks?

Opinion

Things My Mama Never Told Me

Do we really need textbooks?