The Effects of the Budget Cuts on Our Health Office

The health office has suffered severely due to budget cuts. Since the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year, Nurse Maggie and the Hoover High School students have suffered the budget cuts at the Health office resulting in loss of important staff members.

Hoover High School’s health office lost funding from both the district and Price charities and because of these budget cuts, our health staff has shortened from five staff members to two , the health office lost nurse Amie as well as Luz, the receptionist. The health office is one of the busiest offices on a normal school day. According to Nurse Maggie, it is difficult to manage a whole school with no assistance except on Mondays, Tuesdays Wednesdays and every other Fridays.

On some days, the nurse is out because of emergencies, leaving the health office closed, with no one to attend the ill students. Nurse Maggie now has more work, having to take on the role of both the health office receptionist and the school nurse. On top of that, the flow of the health office is busier than ever. One nurse for 2,037 students doesn’t seem fair. It’s very hard to fill out reports and help out students at the same time.

Despite with all the budget cuts, the health office still has a therapist on campus, so if you are ever in need to talk to someone the therapist is on campus five days a week. La Maestra Health clinic is also here five days a week from 8 am to 12 pm. La Maestra Dental clinic is available as well. They are here on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays However, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, they are available from 8 am to 5 pm and on Wednesdays from 8 am to 12 pm.

Hoover should really look into more funding from non-profit charities or into petitioning the district to give more money for support in the school nurse. Next time you go to the nurse, be patient. Remember that there is only one nurse and she is doing her best to attend students as fast and efficiently as possible.