Standing up against fear

Back to Article
Back to Article

Standing up against fear

Machair Ahmat, Staff Writer

Racism, the belief that a certain race is superior among all others, and that each race consists of certain characteristics that make certain races superior and others inferior. This leads one race believing they are in fact the superior race and that makes it acceptable to discriminate and antagonize other races and perform acts of segregation. What people have  failed to realize throughout history is that racism is ignorant and unacceptable, and people have failed to learn that the origin of their acts may come from places of fear which is why this practice continues and why the inequality of many races to continues.

People are afraid to speak out against inhuman acts derived from this fear and not taking into consideration that viewpoint of those who are be inflicted.  Those who oppose these cruel acts are afraid of being judged or targeted. Fear, from both the victim and the perpetrator, is one contributor that allows racism to continue.

Dr Martin Luther King Jr. changed this view through selfless acts for the equality of all races. He sacrificed himself for the greater good for benefiting a whole. The reason why he is celebrated is because his actions woke people up and showed them the world that they are truly living in. He not only opened new doors for equality in America but in other parts of the world as well. His action inspired others to sacrifice their fear and stand up for what is right. His death also brought into consideration how inhuman the racial acts such as segregation were and to think about the actions of the United States. Dr. King fought for social change through nonviolent methods. Even after his death, he left a legacy that flourished and change the political climate of the United States. His legacy continues to inspire others to take action for injustice.

• Standing up against fear

Opinion

The trials and tribulations of high school

• Standing up against fear

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Standing up against fear

Fuerza Regida

• Standing up against fear

Playboi Carti

• Standing up against fear

Opinion

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Standing up against fear

Features

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Standing up against fear

Top 10 Valentine’s Movies

• Standing up against fear

Music

Top 10 Love Songs

• Standing up against fear

Tally Hall

• Standing up against fear

Editorials

A divided nation

Standing up against fear