Audre Lorde

Back to Article
Back to Article

Audre Lorde

Ebony Bowen, Editor-in-Chief

Audre Lorde was an American writer, feminist, womanist, librarian, and civil rights activist. As a poet, she is best known for technical mastery and emotional expression, as well as her poems that express anger and outrage at civil and social injustices she observed throughout her life. Her poems and prose largely deal with issues related to civil rights, feminism, and the exploration of black female identity.

Lorde famously said, “those of us who stand outside the circle of this society’s definition of acceptable women; those of us who have been forged in the crucibles of difference – those of us who are poor, who are lesbians, who are Black, who are older – know that survival is not an academic skill. It is learning how to take our differences and make them strengths. For the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house. They may allow us temporarily to beat him at his own game, but they will never enable us to bring about genuine change. And this fact is only threatening to those women who still define the master’s house as their only source of support.”

Lorde described herself as “black, lesbian, mother, warrior, poet,” and broke ground with her emphasis on the intersections of race, gender, class and sexual identity. Her most well known work includes “Sister Outsider,” a collection of her essays and speeches, and the semi-autobiographical “Zami: A New Spelling of My Name.”

Ebony Bowen, Senior Editor

Ebony Bowen is a 17 year old senior at Hoover High School.  She enjoys being on varsity girls volleyball team and it's her fourth year. She always has...

• Audre Lorde

Fuerza Regida

• Audre Lorde

Black History Month

Dion Moore

• Audre Lorde

Black History Month

We Are Excellent!

• Audre Lorde

Playboi Carti

• Audre Lorde

Black History Month

Essynce Moore

• Audre Lorde

Willi Ninja

• Audre Lorde

Ruth Carter

• Audre Lorde

Black History Month

Arthur W. Mitchell

• Audre Lorde

Black History Month

Ron Oden

• Audre Lorde

Black History Month

Prince

Audre Lorde