Cellphones: friend or foe?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cellphones: friend or foe?

Leonel Zavala, Staff Writer

Should students have the right to use their cell phone in class or is Hoover better off banning them all together?

Cell phones have high potential risks such as cheating and other distractions whilst in a classroom but they are also an effective tool to use. Besides, how are you going to convince Hoover students to put them down completely for seven hours straight? A lot of the times students that get their work done was because cell phones were associated in some kind of way. Students with bad eyesight such as myself, while also sitting in the back of the class, must have faith on these helpful devices.

On the other hand, phones ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. IHigh teacher, Mrs. Soderberg commented, “I don’t mind students using cell phones for looking at the time but most of the time they’re using it for texting.” She also has a cell phone policy in class. AP U.S. History teacher, Mr. Reardon has a similar policy except with smaller limitations, with the ability to only use your phone at the end of the period.

Many students use social media and are looking up to other people who are more than likely super successful people or a more valuable person to them. Although when students use them, it causes a striking decrease in performance in a learning environment. In the end, some students might take advantage on the opportunity of using phones in class to mess around while others will use it wisely and appropriately.

Senior Student Octavio Castro argues:”Phones are an opportunity to search for information,” argued senior Octavio Castro.  “But is also is a double edged sword because they can have the opposite affect and people could use it for distracting themselves. It is up to the individual if they are worthy to use it responsibly.”

Leonel Zavala, Staff Writer

Leonel Zavala was born on March 14, 2001 in San Diego, California Leo and is the older brother to two sisters. His youngest sibling is 13, and other sister...

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Editorials

Pros and cons of the caffeine fix

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Opinion

15 or college?

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Opinion

Graffiti Art

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Opinion

The trials and tribulations of high school

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Fuerza Regida

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Playboi Carti

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Opinion

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Features

Things My Mama Never Told Me

• Cellphones: friend or foe?

Top 10 Valentine’s Movies

Cellphones: friend or foe?