ALMA in the Conrad House

Thuan Tran, Staff Writer

On Saturday, October 5, students from the ALMA academy were part of the 10th anniversary of the arts organization, Outside the Lens.

The gala was called Shutter & Stout 2019, and featured a live auction and entertainment from Hoover High School’s drumline and orchestra (directed by Mr. Joel Ginsberg) and the choir (directed by Mr. Mark Gonzales).  The event is one of the fundraisers for Outside the Lens.

There was a video that showcased elementary school students, who are all immigrants to San Diego, and how they were able to communicate with people through photography.  During the video, Hoover’s orchestra trio played with violinist Jamie Shadowlight.

Mr. Michael Heu

Before the close of the show, the audience participated in a live auction.  Some of the things that people bidded on were dinner at a fancy restaurant and a local chef cooking in someone’s house for a party.

Mr. Michael Heu

At the close of the show, everyone was brought onto stage, and Hoover’s drumline pumped up the crowd and exited the stage with the audience following them out.

Mr. Michael Heu

Once outside, guest were seated for dinner and while eating, the Hoover choir sang.  They performed the mash-up of Bruno Mars’ “Just the Way You Are” and Nelly’s “Just A Dream.”  The guests thoroughly enjoyed the evening’s entertainment. Earlier in the day, the choir practiced for almost an hour.  Hoover students were at The Conrad from 2 to 8:30 pm.

Mr. Michael Heu