We are resilient

Angie Galan, Editor-in-Chief

The COVID-19 disease has spread to almost every corner of the globe, with over two million reported cases around the world and several others that haven’t been officially reported to the World Health Organization. With the United States on a lockdown, schools throughout the nation have been cancelled and have moved to online distance learning. As a senior in high school, this couldn’t have come at a worse time for us, since most of our memorable moments in high school come at the end.

We have worked hard these past four years to earn the grades that would send us off to some of the most amazing colleges and universities, as well as fundraising for our senior activities. However, due to the virus and the inability of some to stay home, it doesn’t look like we will be going back to school for the rest of the year.  And now, our humble classrooms have turned into facetiming your teacher within a Zoom meeting while completing work in a Google classroom. While I had good grades while I was in school, I feel as if being at home won’t have me being as focused on my assignments versus if I was in a classroom. Like many others, when I’m assigned homework to do at home, we tend to procrastinate until the very last minute so I feel as though some people’s grades might suffer including mine. I miss being in school for its fun and spirited environment.

This worldwide pandemic has also made us lose prom, grad-nite, and most likely graduation. It sucks! It really does because we have lost the things that we’ve looked forward to since our freshman year. Many of us would give up prom and grad-nite to be able to walk across that stage, shake hands with Mr. Babineau, receive our diplomas, and make our families proud. Yes, it is sad that we won’t have a graduation but the Class of 2020 has been thrown many curve balls throughout their four years of high school and they have become a force to be reckoned with coming out stronger every time. I am proud of my class and how much they have accomplished in the last four years. Who knows what might happen.  Things could change this month.