Cases rise at SDSU

Cases rise at SDSU

Emanuel Dorantes, Staff Writer

As the coronavirus case totals rise, the County of San Diego is expanding its testing efforts at San Diego State University, which has seen more than 600 coronavirus cases in its student population since it partially reopened last month.

A testing site at the SDSU Alumni Center, located at 5250 55th St., will be able to offer 1,000 tests a day. No appointments are necessary, and the site is open to the public.

The outbreak at SDSU has caused frustration among the student body.  This also affects the recent graduates from Hoover High School who had planned to attend this fall.  Some students are disappointed they aren’t getting the full college experience because of the pandemic, but they appreciate the steps SDSU is taking to help prevent the spread of Covid-19.

“To be honest, Covid affected me personally because it makes it hard to meet new people and become friends with my classmates,” expressed first year student and former Hoover alumni Rose Yem.  “Don’t get me wrong, I’ve made some friends but it’s different than meeting them in person.  Also in certain classes, people are on their phones and not paying attention to the lecture.  This whole Covid situation and classes just makes me feel like I’m back in high school.”

Currently, 90% of class at SDSU are online.  SDSU said in-person classes will be offered starting Oct. 12 with mostly be upper-division and graduate-level courses that are essential to helping students complete a degree, licensure and career preparation. Those living on campus and/or taking in-person classes are required to be tested.

The outbreak also puts new focus on other local universities like the University of California San Diego, which was in the process of moving 7,500 students onto campus. The university said it will prevent outbreaks with routine testing and regular checks of wastewater to detect traces of Covid-19.