Todd Gloria

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month and LGBTQ+ History Month

Todd+Gloria

Jasmine Gonzalez, Senior Editor

Todd Gloria was born on May 10, 1978, and is an American politician serving as a member of the California State Assembly. Gloria is a Democrat and represents the 78th Assembly District, which encompasses much of San Diego. He is also serving as House Majority Whip, which is an assistant to the floor leaders who are also elected by their party conferences. The majority whips are responsible for mobilizing votes within their parties on major issues, and in the absence of a party floor leader, the whip often serves as acting floor leader.

Gloria is a third generation resident of San Diego.  At age 10, he was runner-up in a “mayor for a day” contest. At 14, he volunteered to work for Democratic candidates in the 1992 election.  He grew up in Clairemont and went to Madison High School.  U.S. Congresswoman Susan Davis has been Gloria’s political mentor since they met in 1993: Davis was the director of the Aaron Price Fellows Program, a leadership program for high school students focused on civic education and cross-cultural understanding, and Gloria was a high school freshman

Gloria served as a San Diego Housing Commissioner from 2005 until 2008.  He was a member of the San Diego City council from 2008-2016; president of the San Diego City Council from 2012-2014; acting Mayor of San Diego from 2013-2014; and is currently running for Mayor of San Diego in the 2020 election.  Openly gay, he is also a former chairman of the San Diego LGBT Community Center.