The Weeknd

The Weeknd

Eric Sanchez, Staff Writer

Abel Makkonen Tesfaye was born on February 16, 1990, but his aka is The Weeknd. His music slaps because his songs are sad, tragic, and somber. The Weeknd’s music is very difficult to understand, but that’s why I love his music.

The Weeknd started his music career uploading his songs to Youtube, until a producer discovered him and took him into the commercial circuit. Before all of this, he was the only child of Ethiopian immigrants who came to Canada. He left high school and started doing the bad things, like drugs. In some of his songs, he talks about his painful past and makes it into art, in order for his audience to learn about him. You have to listen to his songs because he doesn’t really do interviews about the person Abel Makkonen, just as the Weeknd. His songs leave realistic messages instead of saying pure garbage and insulting females or referring sexually to females.

He has sold over 75 million records, and has won three Grammy Awards, five American Music Awards, nine Billboard Music Awards, two MTV Music Video Awards, Nine Juno Awards (Canadian music award), and was nominated in 2016 for an Academy Award for Best Original Song, “Earned It.” Some of his biggest hits are “Blinding Lights,” “Starboy,” “the hills,” and “Can’t Feel My Face.” His latest album is After Hours with 14 songs in total and one of his biggest hits, “Blinding Lights” and “Save your Tears.” I have a few favorite songs from him, “King of the Fall,” which expresses being the king of falling and hitting the ground as depression. Sacred to Live, Die for You, and “Can’t feel my Face.” All of this you can listen to and somewhat relate to them. “Can’t feel my Face” is probably the favorite because you can just get up on your feet and vibe with him.