Rising superstar

Rising+superstar

Alexandra Herrera, Staff Writer

Khalid Donnel Robinson born February 11, 1998, and is known mostly by his fans as Khalid.  He is  an American singer-songwriter who is signed to Right Hand Music Group and RCA Records.

Khalid began writing and creating music in high school, and he posted his early works to SoundCloud. Shortly after graduating from Americas High School, Khalid reached number two on the Billboard Twitter Emerging Artists chart in July of  2016. His fame rose after the release of his debut studio album, American Teen in 2017. Later that year, he was featured on Logic’s US top-ten single, “1-800-273-8255”, with Alessia Cara, which earned him a Grammy Award for Song of the Year. With the release of Free Spirit, Khalid was reported to have become the biggest global artist on Spotify, hitting 50.4 million monthly listeners on the streaming platform, and subsequently surpassing Ariana Grande.

In October 2019, Khalid and Major Lazer released a single titled “Trigger” which was also featured on Death Stranding’s soundtrack. Later on July 11, 2021, Khalid premiered his single “New Normal” during Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic Unity 22 spaceflight at Spaceport America, New Mexico. His third studio album Everything Is Changing will be released in late 2021.

Now why did I decide to write about this artist? Well I’ve just always really liked Khalid’s music since I was like in 8th grade. I remember listening to his two albums Free Spirited and American Teen which till today, is my favorite album. I even bought the vinyl record.  Khalid’s music really speaks a lot to me and I feel like each song, I can relate to it in a moment in my life which could be either good or bad, but every song is tied to a memory of mine.  I wish Khalid knew that thanks to his album American Teen it helped me get through a very hard freshman year. My favorite songs from that album are “Therapy”, “Angels”, “Coaster”, “Saved”and “Cold Blooded.”