How To Balance School and Work

Sean Khoth, Features Editor

Balancing work and school can be a very difficult and tedious task for a busy student. However, this article may lend a helping hand to those in need.

At most schools, there may be a course called General Work Experience, which allows you to leave school for last period to finish homework before you clock in at work. This course has helped out many students and has most definitely helped me out with being on top of my school work. Having General Work Experience makes a huge difference in your schedule because it saves you from many sleepless nights of doing homework. In addition, if General Work Experience is not an option, you always have the choice of requesting less hours from your manager. Your manager should be very flexible and easy to deal with when it comes to changing your schedule since they should know that you are a student.

One of the main skills you need as a working student is time management. If you are able to manage time wisely and make sure everything you need to get done is completed, all will run smoothly. However, if you are lazy, slacking off, and inconsiderate of managing your time, trying to balance homework and work will be extremely stressful, especially if you are taking AP (Advanced Placement) courses.

“Know what you’ve got to do, when you’ve got to do it, and stop complaining and handle your business.” said senior Charles Nguyen.

Charles advises students to not procrastinate or slack off because it will make life even more overwhelming. Please do not take this topic lightly; bad decisions may ruin your experience as a student worker and your grades will suffer.

Furthermore, knowing your priorities is key. No matter what, your education should be your number one priority. If you aren’t doing well in school, your counselor could revoke your working permit and notify your manager that you should no longer be working. In addition, before applying for a job, get a work permit from your school and fill out the areas that you can just to be prepared if you get hired. Otherwise, make sure you stay on top of every topic going on around you and keep your grades up. A job is a huge responsibility that can be stripped away from you in an instant, so do your best and learn fast.