Oprah Winfrey

In honor of Black History Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Black American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.

Oprah+Winfrey

Kimberly Flores, Senior Writer

Oprah Winfrey is an American television personality, actress, and entrepreneur who also has a popular daily talk show. Oprah was born on January 29, 1954, in Mississippi. At the age of 19, she worked as a news anchor for the local CBS television station. After years of news reporting, Winfrey found herself in love with the concept. In 1977, she became co-host of the Baltimore morning show People Are Talking.  Winfrey’s work was amazing, and she was offered to become the host for the talk show AM Chicago in 1984. The talk show became so successful, it was renamed The Oprah Winfrey Show in 1986. Winfrey became a huge success, just as huge as her heart, she would later become an Advocate for disadvantaged children.

In 2007 she opened a $40 million dollar school for girls in South Africa. She also became an outspoken crusader for child abuse which won her many awards. One notable award was the Presidential Medal of Freedom given by Obama in 2013. In 2019, Winfrey pledged to donate $5 million to Pathways to College which helped over 4,000 students gain admission to colleges and universities in the U.S. In 2020, while COVID-19 was at its peak, Winfrey donated $10 million to assist Americans in need. In April 2020, she also donated $1 million to America’s Food Fund and other charities. Oprah Winfrey is still one of the most influential and richest women in the United States.