Anthony Quinn

Anthony+Quinn

Elvis To, Staff Writer

Anthony Quinn, also known as Manuel Antonio Quinn Oaxaca was born on April 21, 1915 at Chihuahua, Mexico and died on June 3, 2001 at Boston, Massachusetts. He was well known for his portrayal of earthy, passionate characters that were “marked by a brutal and elemental virility” in numerous critically acclaimed Hollywood and abroad films. In his early childhood years, he had an Irish father and a Mexican mother that would take care of him. By the time he became 6, he attended a catholic church and contemplated whether he wanted to become a priest or not and by the time he became 11, he joined the pentacoastals at the international church of the foursquare gospel. While growing up, he helped out the funds with civil rights activism. He even played in the church’s band at some point and was an apprentice preacher with the evangelist. Quinn grew up in Texas and Los Angeles and from there, he attended Hammel Street elementary, Belverde junior high, Polytechnic and Belmont High School. As a young man, he boxed professionally in order to earn money, after that he studied art and architecture under Frank Llyod. The two became friends and when Quinn mentioned he wanted to do acting, Lloyd encouraged him to do so by getting $800 per week from a film studio and didn’t know what to do. This made him more motivated for acting. He officialy started his career in 1936 as a Cheyenne Indian. Later he expanded his career til 1994, from there he has 12 children and sometime later in June 3, 2001, he passed away from respiatory failure at 86. Before passing away,he was nominated for some of the best awards and actually got them. He appeared at the John Gotti trial where he got involved with the mafia. His legacy has inspired many others to do the same like him and after his passing, people were doing murals of him as Zorba the Greek.