• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Ryan Garcia

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Hispanic American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.
Ryan+Garcia

Ryan Garcia is an American professional boxer. He was born August 8, 1998 in Los Alamitos, California and is of Mexican descent. By the age of seven, Ryan’s interest in boxing had sparked and his dream was to fight for the U.S in the Olympics. He started participating in amateur fights and it wasn’t until he was 17 that he actually started his professional career.

On June 9, 2016, he fought Edgar Meza in Tijuana, and won by TKO (Technical Knockout). Only 5 months after his first professional fight and win, Golden Boy Promotions signed him, and boxer Oscar De La Hoya, announced that Ryan Garcia would be fighting in the light-heavyweight Smith- Hopkins main event at The Forum. Ryan would again take a win but this time by knockout in the second round.

Ryan Garcia would get trained by Eddy Reynoso, trainer of Canelo Alvarez and Oscar Valdez in their facility located in San Diego, California. Before Ryan fought Gervanti Davis, he was undisputed (never lost a fight) and had 23 wins and 0 losses. After the fight Ryan was left kneeling in front of Davis and a one under lost fight.

Given his aptitude for the spotlight these days, it may come as some surprise that Garcia had to overcome anxiety and depression as a teenager.

“I guess as a young kid I was always an over-thinker,” said Ryan Garcia. “I didn’t understand anxiety could have physical effects on you, like panic attacks. I had a little dark time. But I learned my emotions, my triggers, the things I need to stay away from. Yes I may be confident, I put on a show but deep inside I am that same person who has fear and doubts like everyone else.”

Aside from winning belts and fame in the ring, Garcia sights helping others through their depression, by providing tips and more information on his own experiences, as a major source of inspiration to him.

Ryan has helped create change because he is one of few professional fighters that have started as amateur and have now gone professional. During 2021, Garcia signed a deal with sports drink Gatorade to appear on television commercials advertising the brand, thus becoming the first American boxer ever to appear on a Gatorade campaign. He is living proof to many out in the world who have dreams that they can achieve them with hard work and dedication.