• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Javier Hernández Balcázar

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and historical Hispanic American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contribution to society.

Javier Hernández Balcázar was born on June 1, 1988, and is commonly known by the nickname “Chicharito.”  He is a Mexican professional soccer player “footballer” who plays as a striker and is captain of a major league soccer club, LA galaxy. He is known for his clinical finishing along with his pace and technical ability and is widely considered to be amongst the greatest Mexican players of all time.

Chicharito began his senior club career at age 18 in 2006, playing for Guadalajara, where he won the  primary division. In 2010, Hernández signed for ManchesterUnited, becoming the club’s first Mexican player. During his five years with United, he amassed over 150 appearances and scored 59 goals, winning two Premier league titles and reached the UEFA Champions League Final.

Chicharito departed the club on loan to Real Madrid in 2014, and in 2015, he joined Bayer Leverkusen in a permanent deal. Two years later, Hernández returned to England and signed for West Ham United. In 2019, he signed for Sevilla before joining LA Galaxy the following year. He made a donation of $10,000 to a shelter in Zapopan, Jalisco, where he was born, and contributed to the development of the children of the Los Pinos Children’s Shelter, through the Herbalife Nutrition Foundation.