• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Learn to write well

Plagiarism has been an obstacle that many schools and businesses face and still do to this day. Before AI, plagiarism used to be something that took the world by surprise.

In the dictionary plagiarism is described as you copying someone else’s work, word for word, without their permission and publishing it without giving them any credit, but taking credit as your own. You may ask how plagiarism affects a writer. Well, it could prevent creative growth because they don’t develop their own thinking or writing skills. With that, if they don’t think and just copy and paste they are not capturing the full idea they need to write or understand. Some of the consequences that come with plagiarism could be losing credibility to any of your work that you decide to publish in the future or for academic writing it could be automatically failing a course or in some cases, it could be expulsion or even worse it could land you in some legal trouble.

When I was in middle school I had an article to read and a paper to write. But since I was lazy, I did not read all of it and just read the first two paragraphs and wrote my essay with those two paragraphs that I had read. When I had turned in my essay I thought I was good and that the teacher didn’t notice. The next day at school she came up to me and told me that she would give me an extra chance to rewrite the paper and to give more detail and not directly copy and paste some sentences from the article into my paper without quoting it or putting sources of where I got my information from. From there on out I have never copied and pasted without giving credit to the person that I got my information from and I also learned to put my sources at the end of anything that I have grabbed information from.

Now, using Artificial Intelligence in writing is almost the same as plagiarism but when using AI for writing papers also comes with the same consequences. Using AI in writing is not really a great idea because it is in early development and it still has some issues. So when writing papers and using AI to write the papers, or sentences for you to use in your writing, could be difficult because the information that it gives may not be correct or up to date. Using Artificial Intelligence hurts a writer’s credibility by giving inconsistent or false information. But also the writer could give the wrong impression to their readers about their writing and thinking skills.