• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Gloria Hayes Richardson

In honor of Black History Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and/or historical Black American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made a contributions to make society a better place.

Gloria Hayes Richardson was born on May 6, 1922 in Baltimore, Maryland. During the Great Depression her family moved to Cambridge, Maryland. Her grandfather owned many properties. He was also the sole African American member of the Cambridge City Council. At the age of 16, she attended Howard University in Washington earning a degree in sociology in 1942. After Howard, she worked as a civil servant for the federal government in World War II. After the war she returned to Cambridge, and became a social worker but was only able to serve black clients.She was the first woman in the country to lead a grassroots Civil Rights organization outside of the deep south.

Richardson participated in the Freedom Rides, the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, and in 1962, she organized and led the Cambridge Movement in Maryland. This Movement aimed to combat racial inequality in Cambridge, Maryland. She was a fearless and outspoken advocate for change. Throughout her life, she continued to fight for justice and equality. She worked with various civil rights organizations and dedicated herself to empowering communities. Her bravery and determination continued to inspire future generations to stand up against injustice. The Movement was settled with the Treaty of Cambridge in July 1963. Richardson’s daughter continued the work of her mother by advocating for equality and using her voice to bring attention to important issues. Gloria Hayes Richardson died on July 15, 2021.