• March 29In the grand tradition of April Fools, we hope you enjoyed our early April Fool's! Have a great spring break!
Breaking News
  • April Showers Bring May Flowers. Don't be 'foolish' and forget your umbrella!

Polls

What do you plan on getting better at for the spring semester?

View Results

Rosa Parks

In honor of Black History Month, every school day The Cardinal will feature a prominent and/or historical Black American, living or dead, who has worked toward change, advancement, and/or world peace. Some of them are heroes, and some are unsung heroes, who deserve recognition, and have made contributions to make society a better place.
Rosa+Parks

Rosa Parks was born on February 4, 1913 and was an American activist in the civil rights movement. She was mainly known for her part in the Montgomery bus boycott.

Parks refused to give up her seat for white people and move to the ¨colored¨ section of the bus. This moment became very important in history, and the NAACP believed that she was the best candidate for seeing through a court challenge after her arrest for civil disobedience in violating Alabama segregation laws, and she helped inspire the Black community to boycott the Montgomery buses for over a year. The case became bogged down in the state courts, but the federal Montgomery bus lawsuit Browder v. Gayle resulted in a November 1956 decision that bus segregation is unconstitutional under the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Parks became an icon for the resistance of racial segregation. She collaborated with other civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. to create a better world for African Americans. She was active in the Black Power movement. After her retirement, she wrote her autobiography and continued to express how she felt there was still so much more work to be done. Parks received many awards and recognitions for her hard work and is seen as a social activist icon to this day.

Parks received national recognition, including the NAACP’s 1979 Spingarn Medal, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Congressional Gold Medal, and a posthumous statue in the United States Capitol’s National Statuary Hall. Upon her death in 2005, she was the first woman to lie in honor in the Capitol Rotunda. California and Missouri commemorate Rosa Parks Day on her birthday, February 4, while Ohio, Oregon, and Texas commemorate the anniversary of her arrest, December 1.