Security Presence On the Rise

Kathe Minchaca, Staff Writer

In the start of the new school year, there’s been more police parked around Hoover. Right after school, you are able to see more staff watching over the gates at Highland, Chamoune, and Norwood

The incident that caused Hoover to become a patrolled site was while students were attending summer school, a brawl began where four teens were found in a predicament and two of the students ended up in a critical condition with stab wounds. One was treated at the scene of the crime while the other didn’t need to seek any medical help. As a student, I am able to see the impact that it had on the Hoover administration and the district. Compared with other years here at Hoover, security has been low because the number of incidents is low.

In past years I have seen one or two district cops on campus, but that was it. You can see how the security guards are more involved with the students and are constantly looking and checking that everyone is calm. During lunch you are able to see more staff, like the principal and the vice principal in the front quad and in the back quad meanwhile other security guards are in golf carts roaming around every part of the Hoover campus to see that the students are just hanging out and not doing something they’re not supposed to be doing. There are also some counselors that are supervising the back quad and walking around, checking that everyone is fine.

Hoover already has a bad reputation due to the past incident that occurred near Hoover, it is thought of as a negative place. However, anyone who goes to Hoover knows it is a safer school and community because we have caring staff who keep students on check.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Kathe Minchaca, Staff Writer
Kathe Minchaca is a senior and is apart of the advisory board for the Academy of Information Technology She’s also part of JROTC and has commanded an Un-armed drill team to represent Hoover. Since age 11, she has had a passion for music and learned to play the drums. Over the years she has invested...
  • Security Presence On the Rise

Year in Review

• Security Presence On the Rise

#WEARECITYHEIGHTS

• Security Presence On the Rise

A Night to Remember

• Security Presence On the Rise

Another Day Another Tragedy

• Security Presence On the Rise

Features

Thelonious Monk

• Security Presence On the Rise

The 2018 Yearbook is almost here!

• Security Presence On the Rise

Culture

Stephon Clark: Remember Him

• Security Presence On the Rise

Youtube HQ shooting

• Security Presence On the Rise

China Considering Trade War

• Security Presence On the Rise

Breech of the Cyber Wall

Security Presence On the Rise