Black Mirror: Review

Kathe Minchaca, Staff Writer

Spoiler alert if you are watching the Netflix original series, Black Mirror, season three.

The Netflix original, Black Mirror, has been a hit since 2011 by receiving a 96% on Rotten Tomatoes and now with the new season, has supplied us with many new episodes to binge watch. If you have not watched a single episode give it a try by watching at least one episode, and if you don’t have access to Netflix, just get the free month trial.

The reason the show is so unique is because the people have created each episode with many perspectives in which technology can ruin our future. They supply different versions of the type of technological advances that are accepted in that particular society. For instance, the first episode of season three, Nosedive, is my favorite one because it’s remarkably close to the way we judge people. In this episode, everyone is ranked from 0-5 and if your above a 4.5 you are eligible to be have anything granted to you by being popular, gaining respect, and overall getting a better lifestyle for yourself. Every single time the people in this society interacts with one another they have to rate them based on the conversation from 1 to 5 stars and the score can either bring your overall rate up or down.

The main character finally is able to realize how unfair the scoring is and that a person’s value isn’t corresponding to a specific number and finally rebels and faces the consequences of not being liked by society and earns a lower score. She begins to do anything she wants after being introduced to a truck driver that told her the story of her husband that had cancer and they didn’t assist him because there was another person with the same case that had a 4.5 rating.

In conclusion, technology has advanced so quickly in the past years with systems that you are attached to 24/7.  Apps are able to access your location and listen to your conversations is something we have put all our trust into, which is the message that the creators are trying to convey.  While technology may seem like a lifesaver at first, we should not trust it for every aspect.

• Black Mirror: Review

Pitch Perfect 3

• Black Mirror: Review

Culture

Over the Mountain Top

• Black Mirror: Review

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

• Black Mirror: Review

Alex Aiono Visits Hoover!

• Black Mirror: Review

Seasonal Trends

• Black Mirror: Review

Culture

Hoover Wins at Del Mar!

• Arts & Entertainment

Orchestra’s Coming Back!

• Arts & Entertainment

Prom!

• Black Mirror: Review

Clay Expressions at Kensington Gallery

• Black Mirror: Review

Culture

Culture Clash

Black Mirror: Review