George Lopez

In honor of Hispanic Heritage Month

George+Lopez

Tina Nguyen, Staff Writer

George Edward Lopez is of Mestizo Mexican descent. He  is a comedian and actor known for starring in his self-produced ABC sitcom. His stand-up comedy examines race and ethnic relations, including Mexican American culture.  He was also named one of “The Top 25 Hispanics in America” by Time magazine in 2005.

Lopez was born on April 23rd, 1961 in Los Angeles, California. After his dad deserted him at the age of 2 months and his mother left him when he was at the age of 10. He was raised by his maternal grandmother took care of him.  Lopez attended San Fernando High School and graduated in 1979.

In 1993, Lopez married Ann Serrano. Three years later, they had a beautiful baby girl. Lopez has a genetic condition that caused his kidneys to deteriorate. His doctors had told him in April 2004 that he was going to require an organ transplant but he postponed the operation until finishing the fourth season of George Lopez.  In 2005, his wife Ann donated one of her kidneys to Lopez. On September 27, 2010, Lopez announced that he and his wife had decided to end their marriage. Serrano filed for divorce on November 23, 2010, citing “irreconcilable differences” and was finalized July 1st,  2011.

Lopez devotes much time to the community. He runs his own charity, The Ann & George Lopez Foundation. He is a recipient of the Manny Mota Foundation Community Spirit Award and was named Honorary Mayor of Los Angeles for his extensive fund-raising efforts benefiting earthquake victims in El Salvador and Guatemala.