The Omicron variant spreads faster

Daisy Castaneda, Senior Writer

The recent surge that is happening is from the Omicron variant of the Covid virus.  It has taken a toll on students and staff at Hoover High School.

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), “The Omicron variant likely will spread more easily than the original SARS-CoV-2 virus and how easily Omicron spreads compared to Delta remains unknown. CDC expects that anyone with Omicron infection can spread the virus to others, even if they are vaccinated or don’t have symptoms.”

One way to help stop the spread of the Covid is to get vaccinated, and if you have been, to get the booster shot.  However, current scientific evidence has shown that even vaccinated people can still get Covid, though it is a big step for protection.

Masks are another way to prevent the spread of Covid.  Masks are designed to contain your respiratory droplets and particles. They also provide you some protection from particles expelled by others. Though now the CDC has reported that cloth masks do not provide enough protection, and that masks approved by The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), provide the most protection.

On Thursday, the San Diego County public health officials reported 14,437 new COVID-19 infections.  Rapid Covid tests were distributed to students before they left for the winter break.  Students were asked to test themselves before returning to Hoover.  On the first day back, there were 681 students absent.  With Omicron, the symptoms are milder:

1. runny nose
  2. headache
  3. fatigue (mild or severe)
  4. sneezing
  5. sore throat

If you have any of these symptoms, you should stay at home and quarantine for five days.  This lessens the chances of spreading to others.