The benefits of regular sleep

Jana Nguyen, Staff Writer

Despite the fact that many kids sleep later than they should, all students must be able to wake up at a specific time for school unless it is the weekend, when they normally have plans. In most cases, young people should have a set number of sleep hours to ensure their health.

Based on statistics, kids from 3-5, should get from 11 to 13 hours of sleep. Children from ages 6-13 should be getting 9-11 hours daily. Although, this may seem like a lot of hours to be sleeping for people in general, children need more sleep than adults in order to grow up and be healthy because sleeping has many benefits.

According to John Hopkins School of Medicine, “Sleep is an essential part of everyone’s routine and an indispensable part of a healthy lifestyle. Studies have shown that kids who regularly get an adequate amount of sleep have improved attention, behavior, learning, memory, and overall mental and physical health. Not getting enough sleep can lead to high blood pressure, obesity and even depression.”

Some of the health advantages of sleeping well include lowering your risk of diabetes and heart disease, reducing stress, and improving your general mood. Although many individuals believe that sleeping has no significant advantages, it does for the human body system, as previously stated.

I feel that sleep is essential for everyone, not only children, teenagers, and others. It provides several health benefits for all of us. I began to make an effort to sleep on time as well. I used to stay up late at night, going to bed about 1 or 2 a.m. I wasn’t really doing anything significant; I simply wanted to stay up late and use my phone, which I can do the next day. I’ve never realized how good it is to sleep for a specific number of hours and not be sleep deprived until today. I’m sure there are a lot of students out there who, like myself, used to stay up late to use their phones. Maybe some students can’t sleep or need to stay up late to do their schoolwork. Overall, it is preferable to prioritize yourself and take care of yourself.